Thursday, 6 May 2010

confuzzled


Hey all! I'm going to have a little bit of a random post here, hoping to get a little advice etc from anyone who can offer it ^_^
OK, so here's my dilema. I'm currently on the hunt for a full time job for when I finish uni in the next couple of weeks. The first company I applied for, Dwell, is a lovely shop that specialises in contemporary furniture and home wares. They only have one position available that needs filling soon, and I have the opportunity to go for it. But on the other hand, another place I have applied for, The White Company, are currently building a new store in Nottingham, and are needing a whole team of staff. Because of this, they will take longer to get back to me before I get any interviews etc. I would so love to work for the white company, but am worried that if I turn down the job at dwell, then I might not get in to the white company. But at the same time, if i take the job at dwell, and then get offered a job at the white company, i'd be gutted! I know i'm getting way too caught up in all of this :P but any suggestions etc would be lovely :D Thank you! xxx

8 comments:

Claire@AreWeNearlyThereYet said...

Well how about you take the offer at Dwell, and then, if you also get offered a job at The White Company you leave Dwell, and go work for The White Company???

You won't be thought badly of, well, not for long hee hee. x

hapi-ness said...

the main problem is the stores are next door to each other haha! Think i might be seen a little more badly if i accept a job at dwell, then drop it to work for their next door competition! I never make things easy :P hehe thanks claire! x

Maria said...

I agree with Claire. I think your worrying about things you have no control over, if you take the job at Dwell you may love it and not want to go to the White company even if you got a job there which you may not (sorry !). I think holding out for a job at a store which is not there yet would be a mistake. You just don't know what could happen in the mean time, something completly different could happen... Good Luck, and don't worry so much..:)

hapi-ness said...

thanks maria :) think i am probably putting too much thought into it! I've been stuck in my job for years and i hate it, am just desperate not to let it happen again :) x

Florence and Mary said...

I would personally accept the position at Dwell, still apply for the White Company and then rethink should you get accepted at White Company.

As you say there's interviews and so on to go through with White Company so it'll be some time, you'll gain on the job exp from Dwell and you can make a more informed decision.

You might find you don't like Dwell... or even that White Company couldn't possibly compare to the fun you're having at Dwell...

Victoria xxx

CraftySmiles said...

Hello Dear. I will agree with other comments. Take what you can take now ,and IF you get offer at the White Company -you can take the offer if you still want to -Or situation by than may change. Situations with jobs at the Moment aren't great in this country -so take it and GO With The Flow : ) : ) : )

Elizabeths Attic said...

I think Craftysmiles said it all - you cannot turn down a job on the off chance of another one 'maybe' being offered - go with it and thank your lucky stars you have been offered a job, my son has been out of work for 4 weeks and he has loads of qualifications in his field - take what is offered be glad. Sorry if I sound harsh but this is not a real problem - the problem is when you are out of work for any length of time and nothing is offered....

Beverley

hapi-ness said...

Thanks guys :) I know what you mean Beverley, my partner has been struggling to find a job for a while now too. There are a few other jobs that I've applied for too. I've looked up when the white company store is opening and can't find a date, which means it could be months. So the Dwell job is probably a better option anyway :) Thanks all! x

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey